Wednesday, October 15, 2008

1. The Bush Still Burns

Several years ago, I wrote a bi-weekly column for the Missouri West United Methodist Review. I titled it "...After the Burning Bush" for a couple of reasons. First, I recognized that I have been chasing after burning bushes, as in the bush that burned for Moses in Exodus 3, throughout my life. It is sometimes hard to know whether God started the search with a bush that was burning for me, or if I started it because I was looking for God. The starting point is pre-memory for me, and it probably doesn't matter since it has been a dance ever since. One bush burns when I don't expect it, then I go looking for another bush to burn when I can no longer see the last one.

Second, the title was an attempt to answer the question, "What do we do after the bush has burned in front of us?" The instructions and expectations were clearly stated to Moses. They have not always been as clear for me; however, I have always known that I don't get to stay on the hillside and enjoy the view. While it would be nice to sit down and muse about the greatness of one who can burn with out wilting, that would be missing the point. God did not pay a visit to Moses in order to impress Moses, but to spur Moses to action. The same is true for me.

So, the original newspaper column was designed to help me both search for and respond to the burning bushes in my life. This blog will serve the same purpose, though for a different audience. While it is fine for anyone to listen in, my focus will be on the pastors and lay persons of the United Methodist churches in northwest Missouri. That is because one of the more recent bushes called me to this place and these people. We do have a Phaoraoh to confront, some plagues to avoid, and miracles to behold. Perhaps there will be some others who journey with me through this blog. If so, welcome!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve,

Welcome to the blogosphere! I hope that you will find it a good place.

Andy B. said...

Hooray! Steve Cox has a blog! Let there be great rejoicing!

Susan Cox said...

Steve
As well as you write, this is a natural for you!!! I just lack the discipline/time to keep it up, but I have a feeling you have me beat at least as far as the discipline goes. have fun.
Susan

revbendi said...

Well, I guess we can at least be a blogging District!!

Unknown said...

You do write well. Thank you for your thoughts! :-)
Paul

davidl said...

Wow! This is going to be fun. What a graet way to encourage each other and stay in touch.
David Lucas

Carla Lane Smith said...

Steve, I am inspired by your comment that God did not pay a visit to Moses to impress him, but rather to spur him into action!

What an awesome thought to ponder (but not too long:O) of course as God also desires to spur me into action. How exciting to continue to explore and prayerfully live with that visual in mind! Thanks for sharing....the whole devotion is excellent--and leaves a desire to chase -- not sit and watch the burning bush.

I appreciate your willingness to find a creative way to communicate with the people / places God has called you to shepherd at this point in your ministry. (I also don't understand what a blog is...and I think at 41, I am supposed to be one of the younger ones:)

Be blessed in your day! We are so grateful you and Linda are chasing burning bushes in northwest ministry!

Carla Lane Smith

PS this title would be an awesome devotional to put your writings together and publish...

you obviously have a gift to share with our world. I pray all who participate in this are blessed. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

A few years ago Bruce Feiler, author of Walking the Bible, recounted visiting the location of the original burning bush (evidently the bush is still there). He noted that the folks who maintain the site keep a fire extinguisher handy. ..What?! I couldn’t help but wonder if the intent was to protect the bush from vandals who would try to ignite the bush themselves, or to suppress the Spirit from breaking out again thus consuming the “sacred artifact?” Either way, how we react to burning bushes could say a lot about who we are. I wonder if we pastors sometimes keep a fire extinguisher handy lest the Spirit break out and ruin our sacred things…our theology, methods, traditions, buildings…
I’m ready to let em’ burn.