Tuesday, June 9, 2009

9. The Mission Field

Two of our Pony Express pastors, Terry Cook and Jenn Klein, participated in a panel discussion during this year’s session of annual conference. Both were invited to the panel because they have shown tendencies to be willing to share their faith with the people who are “somewhere out there.” While the entire panel was excellent, I took a little extra pride in listening to Terry and Jenn.

Interestingly, both of them seem to intuitively understand and assume something that I have just learned in the past few months. In fact, I have been trying to figure out how to articulate and communicate this new insight around the district in a way that would make sense to people. It turns out that I only need to take Terry and Jenn on the circuit with me to do the interpreting.

During the panel discussion, Terry commented that he is not just the pastor of the Hammer Memorial and Star Chapel congregations, but he is pastor to the King City community. It was clear that he sees the family living in the farmhouse down the road, or the man walking down the street are his parishioners as much as are those who sit in the pews come Sunday morning. Other panel members agreed, then asked lay persons who were present to encourage their congregations to intentionally give their pastors permission to focus their energies on those who are outside the walls of the church.

Later in the weekend, Bishop Schnase commented that the Cabinet has begun asking similar questions when making appointments. Rather than just asking whether a specific person is a good fit for church members in a potential appointment, we now ask whether the pastor is a good fit for the mission field that surrounds that church. It is in some ways a small and subtle shift, but it is a significant one that can have major implications in how pastors spend their time, and in how they understand their ministry.

Throughout my career of serving local congregations, I have always planned the worship service with an eye toward those who already attended the church. The Bible studies I led were designed for church members I invited through the church newsletter. I could just as easily have invited neighbors or held the studies in the homes of church members who had invited their neighbors.

It occurs to me now that I have always assumed that those who pay the bills (Put money in the offering plate) are my customers; yet, the Gospel teaches us that those who give gifts are trying to be extravagantly generous. They are giving out of gratitude rather than expecting something in return. Donors should not be expecting to also be the benefactors. If that happens, it just becomes a circular activity of give and take it back, give and take it back.

So, the better way to think of our ministry process is that church members give gifts so that their church can reach into the world and offer the love of Christ. Our gifts pay the pastor so that she or he can pass the love of Christ along. Our gifts build buildings for the ministry of Christ’s love to be offered to others. Our gifts are passed along to be joined with the gifts of others to do a larger ministry than we can do by ourselves.

There is a kicker to this. On Monday morning during the session of annual conference, Bishop Schnase asked a question for each of us to answer. He asked, “If everyone in the congregation—the pastor, secretary, Trustees chair, Sunday School teacher, person in the pew next to us, etc.—acted just like me, would the church be growing or shrinking?” In other words, do I bring others to Christ? Do I invite others to participate in the ministries of the church? Do I tell my faith story at work, or in my neighborhood, so that others desire to know Christ?

As it turns out, it isn’t just the pastor who is appointed to the mission field. It is also you and me. As the bishop suggested, it is time for us to get a “go out” attitude and let go of our “come to” attitude. Come to think of it, Jesus said it first. “Go into all the world,” he said, “and preach my Gospel to every nation.”

2 comments:

revhipchick said...

i was excited to see Jenn and Terry on the panel as well as we are seminary friends who i believe spoke well for "our generation."

i do believe that much of this is a generational thing--those of us who are GenX find this to be more "natural." yes, we're rebellious, sometimes slackers but we're also very relational. often we do not accept the "normal" boundaries--we see a web of connectedness. it's simply how we grew up--the boomers have raised us well. ;)

i also noticed that Terry was the only rural pastor/speaker the entire weekend. i'd like to hear about what rural churches are doing and how they are successful rather than being encouraged to create churches that have more people in them than in some of our counties.

it was a great change to focus on mission and justice more than numbers, numbers, numbers.

my favorite part of AC was listening to Rev. Dyke's pre-financial report dispelling the myth of scarcity--loved it!

Jason said...

Steve,

Thank you for this post. This was my first annual conference. I arrived no sure what to expect and had no clue as to what my "duties" were as an lay member to the annual conference.

Since I don't have my own blog, I hope you don't mind me hijacking yours to express some of my observations and take-away's from the conference.

* The conference allowed me to see that my pastor is working towards the goals of the conference. Many of his ideas are the same ideas that have been strongly advocated at the conference. This was comforting to know.

* I need to take more personal responsibility in sharing Chirst with others. I need to take a personal responsibility in seeing that our church is reaching beyond the demographic that we feel comfortable with inside the walls of our church.

* I need to work with my pastor in a strategic leadership role to help him carry out his vision for our church.

* As a church we need to develop the next steps to futhering faith development. We've done a great job filling the pews...but what comes next for these new members.

* We currently have a little over 100 in service. We need to think like a 200 member church.

* Outward focus in all missions - including the building project.

I am already considering a lay-speaking session in Fayette next month. Overall I would say the conference had a very positive effect on me. I hope to take this enthusiasm back to our church.

It was good seeing you at the conference. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to get better acquainted throughout the years.

Jason